Marlboro Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlboro Corvette

Adam was talking about the Marlboro Corvette this weekend, specifically that one doesn't actually exist.

There was a Barrett Jackson Auction for a "1990 CHEVROLET CORVETTE MARLBORO/PENSKE RM1" here:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...NSKE-RM1-60866

but it was just built by an Indy Marlboro Racing sponsor. The only advertising I could find was this ebay auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1990-Marlboro-cigarettesgarettes-Racing-Corvette-promo-display-stnd-unused-/222536704456?nma=true&si=nsn4bSSQwAOhYPOUQA3mAvClp qs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l255 7

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	727

for a chance to win a red 1990 Corvette, but it looks just like a normal red 1990 Corvette, no mention of anything special and doesn't have the white Marlboro door/fender stripes.

If there's any proof that there was a Marlboro Corvette contest/giveaway please post it up.

Their was a giveaway and I think it was the pictured car in the Barrett Jackson auction. (only one if IIRC) I remember seeing the giveaway ads in the magazines of the time. I remember reading the popularity of the Corvette giveaway is why Marlboro went forward with the Marlboro Syclone's giveaway which was a flop interms of response . When I 1st bought my Syclone in 2001, I researched the Marlboro Corvette ZR-1. Their was little interest on the Corvette forum about the 'cigarette' Corvette. It has similar wheels to the Marlboro Syclone, but its basically an off the shelf body body, kit, red paints, and stickers.

Comment

I actually found an ad

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1991-Marlboro...sAAOSwcLxYENY0

Comment

To add information -

The "Marlboro" Corvette which is the RM-1 Penske Corvette was done specifically for the Penske team due to their major sponsor was Marlboro. Of course, Shinoda was hired and involved in the design hired by Marlboro. I think this is where the confusion sets in and unfortunately I think the SyTySoGT community is to blame for the confusion and the misinformation. Here's my theory why - We (SyTySoGT) have always called it the "Marlboro Corvette" due to it has the same looks as the Marlboro Syclone. This is not the correct name. Its correct name is the RM-1 (Rick Mears). If you look around on the vette forums or ask about the "Marlboro Corvette", most of the responses are "Oh, you mean the RM-1...." the vette community does not recognize it as the "Marlboro Corvette"....because, well...it's not.

Because of this naming confusion, I think the overall assumption was that Marlboro gave away RM-1 style vettes in the same manner as the Syclones....which we know now is not the case based upon the advertisement above. Yes, there was a Corvette giveaway. Yes, it was sponsored by Marlboro. NO it was not a "Malboro Corvette" but only your standard 1990 model platform....and it seems there was only ONE Corvette given away. THIS is the sweepstakes that Marlboro claimed to have so much success that were willing to do the same with the Syclone. The difference is that the Syclone was prepped and named the "Marlboro Syclone" in the beginning and not given an adopted name by enthusiasts. Im sure because of the working relationship that Marlboro had with Shinoda and probably the raving feedback they got on the RM-1, it was decided to carry over the same "theme" onto the Syclone....plus it was probably cheaper as well to carry over the same looks/design and not start from scratch with someone unique again.

This is of course, is my theory which given the collective data out there, makes the most sense of the matter.

Oh, there also is a "Marlboro Camaro" as well which was actually a sweepstakes BEFORE the Corvette. I believe there were around 73 or so Camaros done. Each region got a certain amount of cars. Dark red in color, convertable with nothing special or crazy to signify Marlboro other than a fender badge.

So, here's the twist and more confusion. As the Barrett Jackson ad states, the RM-1 is 1 of 1, but according to Marty McGuire there is actually 3 of them. According to Marty, one is in Japan as he bought a set of rims off one of them many years back. I know there is currently one sitting in the Lingenfelter showroom (I have the pic of it)....and the question is, does Rick Mears still own his? Ive never seen another picture of any other car other than the RM-1....and if Mears doesnt currently own it, the one sitting at Lingenfelter must be it.

I honestly think the real question and hunt for information is if there is truly just 1 RM-1 Corvette, or is there really more than one?
        --------------------------------
        SyTy Registry
        InternationalSyTyRegistry.com

Comment

Originally posted by SYO237 View Post
          To add information -

The "Marlboro" Corvette which is the RM-1 Penske Corvette was done specifically for the Penske team due to their major sponsor was Marlboro. Of course, Shinoda was hired and involved in the design hired by Marlboro. I think this is where the confusion sets in and unfortunately I think the SyTySoGT community is to blame for the confusion and the misinformation. Here's my theory why - We (SyTySoGT) have always called it the "Marlboro Corvette" due to it has the same looks as the Marlboro Syclone. This is not the correct name. Its correct name is the RM-1 (Rick Mears). If you look around on the vette forums or ask about the "Marlboro Corvette", most of the responses are "Oh, you mean the RM-1...." the vette community does not recognize it as the "Marlboro Corvette"....because, well...it's not.
          To me it does not seem like Shinoda was not directly hired in the design of the RM1 Corvette for Marlboro. This was an existing C4 body kit.

I found an interview on this body kit. Shinoda pitched the idea of this body kit design to GM in 1986 as a RPO option and was denied. It was put on back burner until 1989 when Williams provide the financial support to put in production. Shortly after (1989) Rick Mears who raced for Penske, became involve with the project and his name on it. Production started in ~1990 on the Rick Mears edition kit. I have seen other ZR-1 owner with this kit refer to it as the RM-1. I am not sure if it sold as a RM1 or the owner call it RM1 based on Marlboro ad's in the Magazine. To the Marlboro giveaway car, I wouldn't be surprise if Rick Mears was pushing their sponsor Marlboro for this idea of selling his kit to help promote it. I think this is just a Rick Mears edition with Marlboro Stickers on it. The rims maybe have been even an option on the Rick Mears edition. I found an article of a Maroon 1987 that was retrofitted and it had Boyd wheels on it as well.

The car picture in ad I linked is definitely a ZR-1. I have Sept 1991 article from Vette Magazine and linked it below, it basically a puff piece, but the car is a ZR1 and the article says they are giving it away. They also call it a Marlboro Corvette but Magazine make mistake all the time though.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ro-zr-1-a.html

According someone is this thread supposedly Marlboro gave away 2 Zr-1 and maybe a Convertible. ZR-1 production was 8, Regular production was 15 install. the kit was also available as kit. The ad 'wheels' linked is just a stock 90 corvette. [BTW that is Jimmy who posted the question.]

I am pretty sure the Auction car above is in Lingenfelter collection as they have the same miles. Reading the article, I am not sure if Rick Mears ever did 'own' the RM1.

I was big into Corvette at the time and I only ever remember seeing the one Marlboro advertised in magazines.

Originally posted by SYO237 View Post
          So, here's the twist and more confusion. As the Barrett Jackson ad states, the RM-1 is 1 of 1, but according to Marty McGuire there is actually 3 of them. According to Marty, one is in Japan as he bought a set of rims off one of them many years back. I know there is currently one sitting in the Lingenfelter showroom (I have the pic of it)....and the question is, does Rick Mears still own his? Ive never seen another picture of any other car other than the RM-1....and if Mears doesnt currently own it, the one sitting at Lingenfelter must be it.

I honestly think the real question and hunt for information is if there is truly just 1 RM-1 Corvette, or is there really more than one?
          The one persons hersey supports the 3 cars Marlboro did with the Rick Mears Edition, perhaps given away through different promotion and advertising campaigns. The Rick Mears special editions may just have also had the Marlboro boyds on wheels them as an available option and that is what Marty found in Japan.
          Last edited by dgoodhue; 08-10-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Ive never seen that Rick Mears Two Chevys article, very cool! Ok, so this kinda killed they theory I had....which is fine, that's why I only called it a theory since I didnt have solid info to prove anything.

Good stuff Dave, this sheds a little more light into the mystery. Id love to see more dug up or any other pictures.
            --------------------------------
            SyTy Registry
            InternationalSyTyRegistry.com

Comment

Speaking of Marlboro...anyone know the Marlboro Syclone in Maryland? I was chatting with some gentlemen at Carlisle and he says "Yeah, my son has one of the Marlboros." He also mentioned he has other SyTys. I invited him to tell his son about "our" event at Carlisle and that the truck would have a place in the building if he brings it next year. Didn't dawn on me to get his info or give him a SyTy card and when I did finally get a card, they were lost in the crowd.

Comment

Working...
              X
              rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.