Syclone #136

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syclone #136

I bought this Syclone in 2006 in Minneapolis MN.I was looking for a truck with clean paint, but a troubled engine. The truck had a Jasper re-manufactured 4.3L, with .060 bore and flat-top pistons. Perfect situation to replace the engine and build a V6 myself. My first build of the engine was in 2007. I refreshed it again in 2012, then again in 2018. Working by myself in a small 2 car garage.

Here is the current complete list of modifications I’ve done to my Syclone, as of August 2018.

Exterior
    2" steel cowl hood

Interior
    Seats: Procar racing seats & brackets, RJS 5-point harnesses
    Gauges: Haltech LCD screen, Autometer boost

Engine
    Block:
    Typhoon block modified, splayed main caps, Melling Select oil pump, King bearings, ARP hardware
    Crankshaft: Crower Ultra-Light, Odd-Fire
    Connecting Rods: Eagle forged, ARP bolts
    Pistons: Probe forged, Total Seal rings
    Camshaft: custom grind Crower solid roller cam, double roller timing set
    Heads: Brodix 8 aluminum unported, Cometic MLS head gaskets, ARP head studs
    Valvetrain: Morel solid lifters, Manley pushrods, Jesel rocker arms, PAC springs
    Intake: RPM modded lower SyTy, Renfab sheetmetal forward upper plenum, RPM throttle body
    Exhaust: ATR modified headers, 3" custom downpipe, Stainless Works chambered muffler
    Turbo: Precision 6766 billet, Tial wastegate, Treadstone A2A intercooler, Tial BOV
    Cooling: Griffin radiator, Spal electric fan, Edelbrock water pump
    Misc: EFIconnection billet timing cover, RPM valve covers, RealStreet catchcan, MightyMouse tensioner, Pioneer balancer, RPM turbo drain, Stage8 header bolts, Lokar throttle cable

Drivetrain
    Transmission: original 700R4, upgraded by Rossler Transmission, B&M cooler, B&M pan
    Torque Converter: TCS billet 9/11, full lockup & antiballooning
    Transfercase: stock
    Driveshafts: custom front propshaft, steel rear driveshaft
    Differentials: stock front & rear
    Misc: Blake shifter cable, AN cooler lines, Lokar dipstick, poly trans mount

Fuel System
    Tank: plastic fuel cell
    Hoses: Aeroquip AN, RPM billet rails
    Pump: Magnafuel inline, Magnafuel filters with stainless elements
    Injectors: SMP 120# low impedance, Magnafuel regulator
    Misc: Haltech Flex sensor

Electronics
    Charging: Powermaster alternator, Optima battery, Caspers junction boxes, Powermaster mini starter
    Engine Management: Haltech Elite stand-alone ECU used for Boost Control, Launch Control, Flex Fuel, Traction Control, Converter Lockup, Fan Control
    Sensors: EFIconnection crank position, EFIconnection cam position, Haltech E85, Haltech wideband, Haltech fuel pressure
    Ignition: Coil-near-Plug (6) LS3 coil packs, MSD wires, NGK plugs
    Misc: SSR for rad fan & fuel pump, Summit battery box

Chassis:
    Frame: RPM solid mounts, CE mid plate, chromoly 4-point rollbar, RPM torsion crossmember, poly body bushings
    Front Suspension: Sportmachines tubular control arms, AFCO coilovers, ZQ8 box, Jeep shaft
    Rear Suspension: Belltech leaf springs, Belltech swaybar, Caltrac bars, KYB shocks
    Brakes: 4th gen front & rear disc conversion, GM hydroboost, ABS delete
    Rolling stock: Camaro wheels, Nitto tires
    Misc: Edelbrock tie-rod sleeves, AN hydroboost lines
    Last edited by Aeroking; 08-16-2018, 07:37 AM.
    -Brandon

Why is EVERYBODY racing on low boost?

Last edited by Aeroking; 01-24-2020, 08:04 AM.
    -Brandon

Comment

Last edited by Aeroking; 12-19-2019, 08:17 AM.
      -Brandon

Comment

I'm going around and trying to fix all the little nuisances from the last few years. One of the big ones is my throttle body coupler. I've used a 3"-4" 45 reducer to go from 3" round, to the 4" oval throttle body. But the big silicone coupler has no rigidity in keeping the charge pipe in place. So i always blew off under high boost. So i'm revamping the design a bit. I had a friend weld up a merge pipe to match the throttle body, and i put a bung on the bottom, so i can brace the pipe to the intake manifold. It should work good. I'm going to massage the matching shape a little more, then send it off for powdercoating.

Last edited by Aeroking; 07-01-2019, 12:00 PM.
        -Brandon

Comment

Awesome truck. Always liked seeing your progress with it.
          Hood
          Syclone #1596
          ISTR Treasurer & Underwear Model

Comment

planning my winter revisions. I have a header flange leak to fix, also the ceramic coating is peeling like sunburn. I haven't had the engine apart in a couple years, so i will pull it and go through to check bearings. I'm going to move my fuel regulator and E85 sensor. And also move my coil packs from the back of the engine to the k-member. Time to start.

Last edited by Aeroking; 07-01-2019, 12:01 PM.
            -Brandon

Comment

I'm doing another round of wire tucks, and hose routings to clear up the engine.

It's easier for me changing valve springs before i take the engine apart.

back in it's home. I need to connect all the hoses, and make a new coil bracket. Then off to the Buffalo meet.

Last edited by Aeroking; 07-01-2019, 12:02 PM.
              -Brandon

Comment

I had some life events delay my project. But I'm locked into Carlisle, and the date is looming.

I have a hand full of odds & ends to tie up. I had a battery cable rip off the starter. I bent my aluminum exhaust while i was cleaning the garage. But the rest is just reassembly. Then finally fire the new engine for the first time, and make a tune from scratch. Then cleaning & detailing

I wrapped up my coilpack skid plate last night.
                Last edited by Aeroking; 07-01-2019, 12:03 PM.
                -Brandon

Comment

I got the oddfire engine to start up. My TCC lockup power wire was grounding out somewhere in the center console, and that blew every fuse i had in the truck, and on the haltech power block. But i traced it down, and disconnected the wire, for now. I can replace the wire after Carlisle.

I need to rough in a tune, and clean 10 months worth of dust off the paint before i load up Wednesday night. But i'll be at the big show! Hope to see everyone there!
                  -Brandon

Comment

I got the truck to Carlisle! The engine had 5 minutes of warmup run time on it. Then it started making horrible noises. Sounded like all 6 rods were knocking. As i was backing the truck into the show, the engine popped and died. After some investigating i concluded that the double roller timing chain snapped.

A couple reasons this could've happened would be that the cam sprocket and snout gear weren't align exact. Or possibly that the valve spring rate was too much for the chain. Or maybe the chain was grinding into the timing cover. Or possibly that the oil pump locked up and snapped the chain.

Whatever the cause, i will pop the engine back out and check the internals to find the cause.

Last edited by Aeroking; 07-01-2019, 12:03 PM.
                    -Brandon

Comment

I love this truck! Favorite syclone by far.

Comment

No updates as of now. I am changing houses and garages, so the toy is on the back burner. I did have some free time last night, so i pulled the engine out. I'll open it up this weekend and look for loose pieces.

Here is the ever popular empty engine bay pic from yesterday.

Last edited by Aeroking; 01-24-2020, 07:53 AM.
                        -Brandon

Comment

The verdict is... cam gear bolts we're sheared off. The timing chain was in tact. The cam bolts were too long and bottomed out the threads. I had my machinist clean up the cam and put a new pin in it. I got the engine back between the framerails yesterday. Now i just need to bolt the accessories back on, and get some fresh gas. Then i can continue the oddfire tune i started last year, lol.

Last edited by Aeroking; 01-24-2020, 07:54 AM.
                          -Brandon

Comment

​​​​​​I got to do some work this past weekend. The truck runs and idles fine. I am fabricating up a new stainless exhaust for it. I broke a mount on my aluminum exhaust and kinked a bend closed. So i'm keeping it all stainless. Splitting the single pipe into two. Also, my freaking Optima battery keeps dying after two days of sitting. So that'll go in the trash! I will have it at Carlisle. I can't wait!

Last edited by Aeroking; 01-24-2020, 07:55 AM.
                            -Brandon

Comment

Pictures from Carlisle, credit to Ralph

Last edited by Aeroking; 01-24-2020, 07:56 AM.
                              -Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.