F1 pushing for fans again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 pushing for fans again

I'm not a die hard F1 fan, but i am a casual fan. I watch each race and have favorite drivers, and follow some of the backstories. But i am really big on the engineering and technicalities of the cars.

But F1 keeps trickling in little rule changes to make the races more appealing to fans. And i'm opposed to those rules.

For 2019 they are making the aerodynamics more basic to allow drafting and closer racing. Which forces the engineers to look elsewhere for advantages. Plus, closer racing isn't the best idea for open-wheel cars.

They seem to be sticking with the Turbo V6 power units, at least for now. I'm a fan of fuel efficient forced induction combustion engines. They caught a lot of flack for eliminating the signature F1 noise of a naturally aspirated V8 & V10. So F1 keeps making rule changes to increase exhaust sounds to please the fans, which i think is ridiculous.

I've always looked at F1 as a test bed for pushing the absolute limits of science and engineering. But for me they've been pushing for fan entertainment, and budget friendly rules too much.

Any thoughts? Any other fans?

-Brandon

Why is EVERYBODY racing on low boost?

Originally posted by Aeroking View Post
    , closer racing isn't the best idea for open-wheel cars.
    That's the biggest understatement I've seen in a long time. My feeling is that the drivers won't close up on each other any more than they already do. Touch wheels in open wheeled cars is a sure-fire way to get launched. At the speeds these guys go, good way to get killed. They won't do it.

I'm not an F1 fan at all. Basically because I don't watch Television at all. For any reason. I'd rather read books or research stuff on the interwebs. I like technology, and when I have opportunity to converse with people on technical subjects, I lap it up, especially if they know more about the subject than I do. The technology in F1 is so far advanced beyond anything I'm familiar or knowledgeable about, I'm lost. Now, LeMans 1966-1967 where Ford factory sponsored Carrol Shelby and Hollman Moodey GT40's dominated, that's something I can get into. Cast iron 427's with pushrods at 7,000 RPM. 20,000+ RPM into 10-speeds that costs a zillion dollars a race to participate? Meh, not so much.

Thanks for the post and thoughts.

Comment

I am trying out F1 for the first time this year. I grew up on NASCAR, yes I know, but it's just so hard to watch now. I think that the die hards stay all in regardless of how rediculous things get, the management people know that they aren't going to lose that group. These changes are meant to cater to the masses that don't give two shits about anything except vroom, vroom, crash, crash. Just my opinion, NASCAR has gone so far as to alienate the people actually understand and enjoy the sport. Rediculous rules, the "Competition" committee, etc., all detract from the core which is still supposed to be stock car racing by the way. It's not just NASCAR though, the NBA, NFL, etc. are all doing the same thing.

Their dumming the sport down for the average idiot that just wants to see more passing or more crashes and isn't willing to put any effort into understanding the history and "sport" around F1 or anything else.

I'm not bitter though. Sorry to bring up NASCAR in a F1 post but I just hope they're not going in the same direction. Everbody wants the money though.

Comment

Working...
      X
      rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.