Sticking caliper or....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking caliper or....???

Thought I'd put this here instead of Facebook where uninformed newbies might chime in.

A few months ago, I drove my truck 30+ miles and the right front wheel starting "sticking." And by that I mean I would be at a light, lift my foot off the brake, and the car wouldn't move until i pressed the gas...after clunk in the front right.

After some internet research, it has all the signs of a caliper piston sticking on the rotor. Finally had a chance to have my mechanic look at it the other day and he says the piston is not sticking...the brake is functioning normally...and that on a test drive, it did not fail in any way.

So, question is...what else could it be (front diff?) and why did it only occur after a long drive? I've taken a few short trips in past few days and it does not stick.

thanks

Assuming he checked the guide pins on the caliper correct? CV axle starting to go out maybe?
    --------------------------------
    SyTy Registry
    InternationalSyTyRegistry.com

Comment

Originally posted by SyTyRegistry View Post
      Assuming he checked the guide pins on the caliper correct? CV axle starting to go out maybe?
      He's a good mechanic so I'm trusting he checked the pins. The CV axle is another story. Would that get worse with the more distant I drive? Because I'm getting no symptoms on short drives. thx.

Comment

What about the brake hose itself?

That can cause the same symptoms as a sticking caliper, but only sometimes shows itself when compressing the piston back into the caliper. If they are original, I would suggest replacing them both (and the rear one going down to the axle) just for piece of mind. I can't imagine it being more than $60 for three OE style brake hoses.
        Morgan - ISTR Executive Director

93 Typhoon #0180 || 93 Typhoon #1579 || 92 Typhoon #1068 || 52 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
        85 Volvo 745 Turbo Diesel || 06 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4 CCLB SRW LBZ SLT || 07 CGMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 CCSB LBZ SLT

WTB : 93 Typhoon #1682

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

• Baythan
          Baythan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Morgan. I think that's the way to go.

So, i took the truck out today (perfect weather) and start it up. This is the first time since I had it at the shop. Brake light is now and and I'm getting a click at the pedal when I first press the brake. (and each time I return to it). WTF. (meanwhile, caliper did not stick at all during drive today...about 10 miles).

Comment

Working...
        X