Sticking caliper or....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking caliper or....???

Thought I'd put this here instead of Facebook where uninformed newbies might chime in.

A few months ago, I drove my truck 30+ miles and the right front wheel starting "sticking." And by that I mean I would be at a light, lift my foot off the brake, and the car wouldn't move until i pressed the gas...after clunk in the front right.

After some internet research, it has all the signs of a caliper piston sticking on the rotor. Finally had a chance to have my mechanic look at it the other day and he says the piston is not sticking...the brake is functioning normally...and that on a test drive, it did not fail in any way.

So, question is...what else could it be (front diff?) and why did it only occur after a long drive? I've taken a few short trips in past few days and it does not stick.

thanks

Assuming he checked the guide pins on the caliper correct? CV axle starting to go out maybe?
    --------------------------------
    SyTy Registry
    InternationalSyTyRegistry.com

Comment

Originally posted by SyTyRegistry View Post
      Assuming he checked the guide pins on the caliper correct? CV axle starting to go out maybe?
      He's a good mechanic so I'm trusting he checked the pins. The CV axle is another story. Would that get worse with the more distant I drive? Because I'm getting no symptoms on short drives. thx.

Comment

What about the brake hose itself?

That can cause the same symptoms as a sticking caliper, but only sometimes shows itself when compressing the piston back into the caliper. If they are original, I would suggest replacing them both (and the rear one going down to the axle) just for piece of mind. I can't imagine it being more than $60 for three OE style brake hoses.
        Morgan - ISTR Executive Director

93 Typhoon #0180 || 93 Typhoon #1579 || 92 Typhoon #1068 || 52 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
        85 Volvo 745 Turbo Diesel || 06 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4 CCLB SRW LBZ SLT || 07 CGMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 CCSB LBZ SLT

WTB : 93 Typhoon #1682

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

• Baythan
          Baythan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Morgan. I think that's the way to go.

So, i took the truck out today (perfect weather) and start it up. This is the first time since I had it at the shop. Brake light is now and and I'm getting a click at the pedal when I first press the brake. (and each time I return to it). WTF. (meanwhile, caliper did not stick at all during drive today...about 10 miles).

Comment

My new theory - what are the chances this is an axle problem? I've had a constant leak from the front diff...could low fluid cause an occasional bind in "one" axle (PS) ? It's due for a level check but not more than 500 miles ago I checked and it was full. But there is a slow drip even as the truck sits. thanks.

Comment

A little bit out in left field, but if the VC in the TC is locked, then each time you stop the vehicle there is binding in the drivetrain depending on where the tires all end up relative to each other. 4WD vehicles normally act how you're describing, especially on dry ground.

Comment

Working...
            X
            rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.