Oil Cooler Lines, revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler Lines, revisited

Because I've replaced at least a couple dozen sets of the metal stock oil cooler lines over the years, I know how to do it. The one on the engine can be fussy, or sometimes it goes fairly well. The trick is to realize that it comes out over the fender, from the top. But sometimes the "block" on the end that connects to the on-block adapter just doesn't want to come out between the diff and the engine mount. Seems really tight, and can be aggravating.

After fighting the thing in my DD today for about 45 minutes (and I have a lift) I had an epiphany: What if the 14 year old rubber mounts had sagged, decreasing the clearance between the diff and the pan rail? ? I put my bottle jack under the torque converter cover and lifted the engine about 1/2" before the frame started to rise too. The lines came right out, and the new ones went right in.

Sometimes one has to be smarter than the problem. Maybe this will help someone in the future. Cheers.
    DaveP
    2/04/2018

What made you keep lines ?

Comment

Originally posted by 1blkc4 View Post
      What made you keep lines ?
      My truck is remarkably un-dorked with. Stock, un-dorked with Tys have the lines, remote filter, and oil cooler. So mine does too. I like originality.
      I did a filter on block mod on a client's Sy and I was un-impressed with the access to the filter, the proximity of the filter to the front drive shaft, and the requirement to use the short PF40 filter.
      I drive my Ty about 10-15K miles a year, so I change the oil 2-3 times a year. (Remember, it's Stock, so it's reliable too). I don't want the hassles of changing the block mounted filter, and because my change interval is 5-7.5K, I want the bigger PF35 filter.
      I also believe that the oil cooler is beneficial, even in a street-driven Ty. For reasons I won't elaborate on, I run Dino oil, so the cooler is even more beneficial.

The on the block filter is just fine for a SyTy that only leaves the garage a couple of times a year, or doesn't run at all. But for me, for my Ty that is still driven regularly, and accrues lots of annual miles, I feel the stock layout is preferred. Backed up by the fact that my stock 25 year old Ty is still reliable and can be driven anywhere, anytime.

Edit: I just realized that I responded to your question with my Typhoon in mind. But this original post was regarding my Daily Driver 4.3 ext cab 4X4 pick-up. The exact same considerations apply. But because it is a CPI engine, and the truck weighs about 4,500 with me in it, the oil cooler is even more important because I beat the crap out of it, so I know I can get the oil hot.

Did that answer the question?
      Last edited by DaveP; 05-03-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Yes you did your right about the filter the lines leaked twice on me so I said screw it I removed them .

Comment

Working...
        X
        rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.