Cylinder heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder heads

Any advice or wisdom regarding cylinder heads? there seem to be zero aftermarket ones available so what do people do with regards to upgrading them? I'm looking towards getting my phoon into the 10's eventually so aside from the obvious big turbo, injectors, cam, exhaust etc I'm guessing the stock bottom end is up to the job.

Vortec will do its job

Comment

2 choices:

L35s - Direct bolt on, and stock vs stock, flow much better than our LB4s. You want to make sure you get the screw in stud style and NOT push in (you'll regret it soon after when you push your studs out). You can literally take a set of loaded L35s and bolt them right on....or you can do some upgrades with bigger valves, roller rockers, etc. But either way, L35s are your cheapest and easiest route. You technically dont need a cam, but would suggest a mild one. If you have an aftermarket chip, you'll probably need to reflash it with a better tune.

Vortecs - You will have to get the lower intake modified in order to fill gaps that the vortec heads leave that doesnt match up with the intake. I believe Sportmachines does it where you send your intake in and they send one back modified. You'll want a cam. Definitely need a chip.

Ive seen guys do L35s for as little as $500-600. Vortecs usually range from $1200-1800 depending how crazy you get with valves, rockers, etc. Of course, consider you need gaskets and hardware too.

Since your goal is 10s, L35s are not your choice. I posted the info anyhow so it can be utilized and found by others doing research. You will need to go down the road of vortecs. If it was my build, Id be looking at the entire package of building the motor along with the heads at the same time. The stock bottom end can go 10s, but it's questionable for how long it can do it. Sean Krupa successfully did it for a short while on his Typhoon, but he did end up hurting it and doing a rebuild.

I would highly suggest NOT to plan a 10 sec build on a STOCK bottom end. You'll want forged internals. 4 bolt main....etc. 10s is achievable, but on our trucks it's never a cheap one.
      --------------------------------
      SyTy Registry
      InternationalSyTyRegistry.com

Comment

^^ Excellent.

If you are going to match a cam to a set of L35 or Vortec heads, please remember. A stock rebuild set of heads have a low valve lift limit. Some of the off-the-shelf V6 cams have lift into the 500s. If you choose a 450+ lift cam, you would need to have the heads rebuilt for more lift. Adding different springs, or machining the valve boss. Depending on the heads, retainers, and seals, you may be able to get .575 lift capacity from a spring change.
        Last edited by Aeroking; 05-02-2018, 08:33 AM.
        -Brandon

Why is EVERYBODY racing on low boost?

Comment

Brodix still makes heads. There's some Bowtie/Pontiac stuff floating out there also if you know where to look. Finding all the parts and headers to make it work is the real trick. Vortecs are the most plentiful option.

Comment

food for thought thanks, my trouble is I'm in the uk and sending heavy parts over the pond and back is horrendously expensive and aside from the odd astro van thats found its way over here mercruiser engines are the only common v6's and everyone wants a small fortune for them, anything to do with boats is horrendously priced, ill have a look around for an old safari or astro and see if i can get a cheap engine to build up, has anybody any experience with "syty.com" ? i know everyone on here refers to sportmachines who are very helpful so far

Comment

Most Astro vans from 92-96 will have L35 heads. Check the ViN for "W" in the 8th position.

Comment

Working...
              X
              rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.