Timing chain and rod bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain and rod bearings

I've seen a few guys already using Cloyes for their timing chain setup. I've been wondering, are there significant benefits to using a Cloyes setup, as opposed to Comp Cams? I can get a Comp kit for around $60-$70, but all of the Cloyes 4.3 timing chain kits I've seen are about $115 and up.

Another thing is what the best company for bearings would be. I already have the main bearings in, but I need to get rod bearings, yet. I gauged the lobes at about 2.240", and I want to get the best brand, not some Walmart quality junk.

All of this is going in an aluminum block 4.3 with aluminum bowtie heads.

You can't go wrong with Clevite or King bearings.

Is a shop building the engine, or are you doing it yourself?
    -Brandon

Why is EVERYBODY racing on low boost?

Comment

I've used King in the engines I've built over the past few years. Disappointing to have to put Chinese bearings in my engines, but the Kings are available, and consistent in dimensions. I've never liked Clevite, and the FM and Sealed Power quality went to crap when those too began to come from China. I don't think there is a domestic bearing available any longer. All Chinee Chit now.

As far as timing chains go, the turbo 4.3 with roller lifters and stock style oil pump doesn't put a lot of stress on the timing chain. The valve spring pressures aren't high, and the engines don't rev high. The Cloyes true roller chains were developed for endurance racing with high spring pressures at high RPM with high volume oil pumps and flat tappet cam shafts. (Think Mark Donahue's 69 Trans Am Camaro). Even a stock Morse chain is adequate for us. Double-check block to chain and sprocket clearance if you do go with a "double roller" chain. I remember one guy on .net ground his block to junk attempting to establish clearance between the upper sprocket and the oil gallery plug. Not worth it IMO, a stock replacement set is fine.
      Last edited by DaveP; 09-13-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Dave, you're absolutely right. I have a Cloyes chain that is apparently for a bigger V8 that the cam holes are spaced farther apart on, so I just threw it on there to see how bad it was. Not sure what I can use it on, but I'll hang onto it for the next project. I went with a Melling single roller from Jeg's. Should be here this week.

Originally posted by Aeroking View Post
        You can't go wrong with Clevite or King bearings.

Is a shop building the engine, or are you doing it yourself?
        Building it myself in the cellar. I'll look into the King set. I gauged a lobe at 2.240ish, so I'll check the rest and see what size I need to order on that.

Thanks alot for the info, guys.

Comment

Working...
        X
        rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.