AN tubing cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AN tubing cutter

Here goes. My first post. Great tubing cutter for AN lines. $35 from Summit.
    Attached Files

Is it these? - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900040
    Hood
    Syclone #1596
    ISTR Treasurer & Underwear Model

Comment

Originally posted by sytyguy View Post
      Yes. I guess I was off a little on the price. A guy on the facebook page said harbor freight had them for $20. I will look into that.

Looks like this is the one from harbor freight. I may have to try them:

http://www.harborfreight.com/28-inch...ters-6649.html
      Last edited by randy merritt; 05-02-2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I bought these a while ago. I found that they got blunt very quickly. They also crimp the plastic PTFE inner hose as well making it a nuisance to thread the fittings properly.

There may be higher quality ones available that don't dull so quickly but don't be surprised if these deteriorate fast.

Comment

I don't know much about working with "AN" hose which I presume has a stainless steel outer braid, so this may not apply. I do have a lot of experience with wire-reinforced high pressure hose for hydraulic and fuel systems on the yachts. I use my steel cutting chop-saw. I back-up the hose with a piece of 1" wide stock, so the hose doesn't de-form into an oval as it cuts and hold the loose piece with my free hand to get as clean a cut as possible. The abrasive wheel cuts right through it. Makes a lot of smoke, but no deformation of the hose. Be sure to blow out the debris with air or even a water hose after your cut, or I just do it after I've assembled the ends too. Occasionally an end cuts into the inner jacket, and blocks the fitting. I like to use water because the jet coming out of the other end gives visual indication of whether the fitting is installed correctly, or is blocked by the inner hose having gotten inside the fitting.

My abrasive cut-off saw is kept at home. On rare occasions I have to cut a wire braid hose on-site, and didn't know I'd need the big saw. I have a cut-off wheel for my 4" Makita angle grinder, which is part of my always on-hand kit. A steady hand, and it fills in for the big saw just fine. Most hobbyists have a 4" angle grinder, if they don't have a dedicated metal chop-saw. Give it a try. Another tip: Put a hose clamp around the braid just adjacent to the cut before cutting. The clamp gives you a guide to get a straight cut, and holds the braid in place so the wheel doesn't fray it.

DaveP
          6/01/2017
          Last edited by DaveP; 06-01-2017, 09:37 PM. Reason: Added Second paragraph.

Comment

Working...
          X
          rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.