Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALERT: Bad Batch of Replacement V-Clutches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALERT: Bad Batch of Replacement V-Clutches?

There's a thread on the other board by Sean Kupra where he's had two V-clutches turn out to be bad (failed open) pretty much out of the box. I too bought a V-Clutch from Cobra in November, and it was also bad out of the box. Sean also reported that Tom at Sportsmachines has also had recent "trouble" with an aftermarket V-clutch.

The symptoms for both Sean and I were that with the front prop shaft out, trans in Drive, brake applied and truck not moving, the front output yoke was spinning. Obviously it shouldn't be if the truck isn't moving. Once the propshaft is installed, everything seems normal. Most peeps won't know the V-clutch is open unless they remove the propahaft or get squirrelly in the rain.

A few years back, these clutches were $385 from Cobra. Now they're $235. If they can be sold this cheaply, my guess is that someone contacted Alibaba, had a batch made in China, and sold them to suppliers, jobbers, and trans shops all over North America. And they are Chinese junk.. There's a ;shop local to me that rebuilds and supplies V-Clutches. I talked to him a few years ago, but never tried one. Sean may be contacting him too. I may follow up on this, because I need to fix the bad one I installed in November. Plus it cost a couple hun. Cobra should be asked to make it right. It's not only the ~$250, but the effort and work to R&R and install it in the case. TWICE!

Anyway, if you have installed an inexpensive V-clutch in the past year or so, there's a very simple test to see if it's any good: Jack up the front wheels with a floor jack and see if you can move the truck under its own power in gear. If the fronts just spin in the air, you have a bad one. And a simple test upon installation of a newly-built T-case would be to see if the truck moves before installing the front propshaft. The bad one I had felt OK for about 5 seconds, then failed miserably.

Just a heads-up..

Sad to hear, but good to know. Has anyone contacted Cobra concerning the failed units? Did they warranty your failed unit Dave?
    Hood
    Syclone #1596
    ISTR Treasurer & Underwear Model

Comment

I had one fail in a similar situation, this was a few years ago. Replaced it when i noticed the front wheels were not pulling. Pulled the prop shaft to do some work and the truck wouldn't move. I bought both from Cobra, I feel like I need to double check that the current one is good now.

Comment

Dave, did you see this one posted on Facebook? Owner says it came from STE Couplers out of Anaheim, CA.

Hood
        Syclone #1596
        ISTR Treasurer & Underwear Model

Comment

STE is local to me. About 30 minutes, which is like across the street for a So Californian. I talked to them a few years ago, I haven't yet for this current deal. I also haven't contacted Cobra regarding the bad one I purchased in November. My Typhoon has a Cobra V-clutch that was purchased in about 2011 and has about 30,000 miles on it. I haven't had a chance to jack it up and check it yet, but I may in the morning because now I don't trust it. The Syclone still has its born-with V-clutch, with 52K on it. I've driven the Sy 11 miles in 17 years; I'm not too worried about its condition.

I got slammed today by one of my boats. I custom built this 6-cyl 85hp Diesel engine for this boat when it was new in 1989. No one touches it except myself and occasionally the owner when he's on a trip. Today all I did was change the oil. After running it a few minutes, there's oil in the coolant. This engine has been perfect for 28 years and over 3,500 hours, and now has a major problem right at the beginning of the season, the owner has plans for a 10 day trip in 2 weeks, and I'm leaving for my annual NCRS Nats in 4 weeks. No time right now to do things like chat about V-clutches, but I'll get back to this later in the Summer.

Talking to STE is on the list.

Comment

I did check the Typhoon this morning. It moved normally with the front wheels off the ground. Cobra V-clutch, purchased in about June 2011. So the "Cobra Clutches" were still OK at that point in time.

Sean Kupra posted on .net in his thread that the STE guy said his clutch that won't move without the propshaft installed is "normal". I totally disagree, and told Sean that in a phone conversation earlier this week. I've been checking these clutches for 20 years. I've driven LOTS of trucks with the prop shaft out (mostly because the prop shaft failed, or there was too severe a tire mismatch that needed to be corrected before reinstalling the propshaft after the new clutch was installed), and you can't tell the shaft is out by the way it drives.

My testing "spec" suggests that the original-spec GM clutch should hold about 350ft lbs of torque. Because of the torque split, the v-clutch has to transfer 35% of the input torque to the front output to "lock" the t-case with the propshaft removed. With 350ft lbs of engine torque multiplied by 3.07 first gear ratio, 35% of this input torque is 375 ft lbs, just a little over my GUESS as to what the clutch holds. I can guarantee that most rear tires will not hold this torque level without "slipping" on the pavement! So the clutch can't really be loaded to this level anyway.

I do NOT agree with the STE guy that a V-clutch that is so loose that the truck won't even move in rear-only drive is a normal condition. That's not what dozens and dozens of peeps have seen over the 25+ years we've been working with these t-cases.

DaveP
            6/1/2017

Comment

Dave,

Any updates on this? Have you spoke with STE?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
              XR4X4Ti

Comment

I'm interested to see what STE says as well. Is this the same vendor that claimed they could build them with different behaviors?

I picked up a VC from Cobra when they started getting scarce, but I will probably just return it so I don't have to worry about possible failure.
                Tyler
                '92 Typhoon
                '05 GTO

Comment

I added a video to the transfer case sticky to show an open failure...

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.