Grill Color on 1993 Typhoon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill Color on 1993 Typhoon?

I know this has been covered a zillion times, but I don't remember, and don't feel like searching the other board for it. I'm getting ready to do some cosmetic work on my tired-looking Ty. The grill and front bumper are badly chipped, I want to refinish the front fascia.

I have a white/gray 1993. Code BYB. I believe the grill is original to the truck (it IS an OEM grill, not a replacement), and it shows signs of silver (argent, 8098, BYB, whatever you call the color) on the top surface, after you open the hood. When we bought it 20 years ago this month, it had been whited-out. The cladding, mirrors, even the wheels were painted white. In 2001, I repainted the cladding silver, and fixed the wheels. I painted the grill and buckets (because I didn't know the 93's were body color) at that time. So I have no idea what it was originally. However:

I believe all grills that were not for mono-color trucks were painted silver, then had a mask dropped over the grill opening, and the body color was shot on the perimiter. At least that's what the evidence on the truck suggests. I'm pretty sure my white/gry 93 should have a silver grill, white buckets. I know BYC (white cladding) and BYD (red cladding) have their respective body color grill openings, and perhaps the BYA (black cladding) have black openings, but I'm not certain.

Can anyone reliably confirm that wht/grys have gray grill openings? EDIT: and just for grins, so it's all in one thread, what color is the opening on 93 blk/gry's? Blk or gry? I posit that 93 BYBs (grey cladding) have grey grill openings, regardless of body color. But I'm not certain.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by DaveP; 08-22-2017, 08:48 PM.

These pictures are of a white 24,000 mile Typhoon (#305 actually). Given its very stock appearance both exterior and under the hood (there are still original labels I see), Im going to say it's safe that this is original paint on this truck to reference grille color.

93s should be fully monochromatic of the body color, that includes any of the gray cladding combos (my royal had no silver).
    92s have the grille and headlight buckets that are painted the dark gray.

Not sure of the paint process on the non monos. It sounds reasonable that they were shot gray first, then masked and painted the body color to match whatever truck was coming down the assembly line. My guess is this didnt carry over to 93 due to it probably cut down on cost and time to just do them in mono. Only an assumption, not gospel.

Also attached a 93 blk/gry which shows mono color and a 92 blk/blk which shows the gray inserts.
    --------------------------------
    SyTy Registry
    InternationalSyTyRegistry.com

Comment

Thanks Adam.
      That's a white/white BYC, which is not what mine is. I don't see the silver on the top of the grill like mine has. Which makes sense because white/whites have all-white grills. I don't think ALL grills were painted silver, then painted mono color.GM Production doesn't work that way. They will never do two processes (all gray, then all color) if they can do it with one. (all color on the first spray).

I'm not yet convinced that wht/gry 93's had white grill openings. .I've seen this silver and mask thing on dozens and dozens of trucks. If its silver on top, it has a silver grill opening, and buckets if its a 92. I wish I could remember what I've seen over the years at Nats and all the other gathering I've attended over almost 20 years, but I don't. While I'd like it to be "correct", because that's the way I roll (NCRS and stuff), maybe I'll paint the old one all white and see if I like it. Not sure I will. Then paint the replacement the way I want it.

I may also attempt to scrape through the layers on the old grill and see what I find. From the top down I know it is grey, primer, white. If there's silver under the white, That would be the original color.

See if you can find any pics of 93's with colors other than mono-tone, or black, that have the hood open so we can see the top of it, and the bumper and opening color as well.

Thanks again.

Comment

93 wht/gry seems to be more of a tricky picture to find with the hood up. But I found this to reference. I cant confirm this is original paint since the cladding seems to be super dark (but that could be bad lightning, the photographer, etc), but from what I see with a good search, most of them match the mono theme. I did find a few 93 whites that had mono buckets, but painted grille.

Let me go see if I can stir up some original paint 92/93 white ty owners and see if we can get some confirmed comparison pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4752d729f80bde03db7551de662ab9f8--salems-lot-vehicles.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	849
        SyTy Registry

Comment

While waiting for pics, I can confirm that the 92 wht/gry mid 30k truck that Randy owned and sold, did indeed have the gray buckets and grille insert. That truck was bone stock and absolutely no paint work when Randy bought it.
          SyTy Registry

Comment

Typhoon #1833

http://www.sportmachines.com/piwigo/.../category/1324

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130314111042-f7d7e532-me.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	852
            SyTy Registry

Comment

92 Typhoon #829

Bad pic, but there's the non body color strip present in this one....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20110315151553-cf5f8b6f.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	854

92 Typhoon #1383

Again, bad pic, but the stripe is present

Click image for larger version  Name:	20110315151324-53bf626e.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	855

And found it.... 92 Ty #1614

Name:	20110315151337-46cefdaf.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	856

Im pretty certain I have never seen a 93 grille with the top section left like this and not fully painted. Going through the sportmachines gallery shows more monotone grilles no matter the color combo on 93s than not (I can only assume the nots are aftermarket or painted).
              SyTy Registry

Comment

Originally posted by SYO237 View Post
                While waiting for pics, I can confirm that the 92 wht/gry mid 30k truck that Randy owned and sold, did indeed have the gray buckets and grille insert. That truck was bone stock and absolutely no paint work when Randy bought it.
                Interesting. Here is a pic that Randy just posted on facebook for me. Gray buckets and grille, but the top is fully painted.

Name:	21082969_1875090432808172_2864402636507050183_o.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	858
                SyTy Registry

Comment

Aside from that photo you posted on FB, I don't think I've ever seen the top surface of a grille painted gray like that. I could be wrong but don't remember seeing it. And yes, my truck is body colored around the perimeter including top surface under the hood. Can actually be seen in the avatar.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.