X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastBlackTA
    started a topic Ls Swap Single Turbo Build

Ls Swap Single Turbo Build

This is my build thread from 2013 and continues today. My truck has run 5.8s in the 1/8 with room to grow. I am sharing my build thread on this forum to help people out who want to LS swap their trucks. For now I am just doing the text and will upload photos (I have a million) once I learn how to do it on this forum.

Hello,

I have been on the forum for a long time and have owned a fairly stock sy for a while. I have been fairly involved in the LS scene for a long time, and was presented with an opportunity to purchase a syclone with an ls swap this summer. Its a 47k mile body, but the work done was pretty bad. I was planning on doing a single turbo setup when I purchased it, but didn't realize just how bad the origional conversion was done so it will take more work than previously expected. Plans are for a 4L80E (being built now), iron LS motor (370-402 cubes), and a single 94 mm GT5594 turbo from Forced Inductions.

I have started fabbing stainless headers for the first time from sch10 stainless weld els. I have completed the drivers side and working on the pass side currently. I started with a Miller Econotig and picked up a Dynasty 200dx (world of difference, fyi). I am fortunate to have friends who have given me advice along the way, and figured that since I have searched the net before looking for advice on projects, it's not a bad idea to share what I have learned so far. I own a couple LS based cars, and this project isn't on a "rush" status, so I will update when I can regarding new progress on the build.

To start, here is my drivers side header not quite 100% finished but I will grab pics next time I am in the shop of the finished product:
    Last edited by FastBlackTA; 08-06-2017, 08:24 PM.

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Morgan View Post

uh oh, too much bewst?
    most likely power and the stress from awd/weight

I really did a good job - trashed the turbo (which has been fixed) and a lot of other stuff due to water in the engine.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Morgan
    replied
    Originally posted by FastBlackTA View Post
    toasted the stock iron block

lsx time with more boost......
    uh oh, too much bewst?

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    toasted the stock iron block

lsx time with more boost......

Leave a comment:

• Captain Morgan
    replied
    I just read through all of this and now I want to build an LS truck again.... damnit.... lol

You have an amazing truck.

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    5/5/2017

https://instagram.com/p/BTpBiVph8JI/

6/5/2017

Got to make two passes yesterday. First one was a lazy 6.70 and then ran a 6.2 at 115 1.4 60ft.

I have a lot of work to do to figure out how to get this thing down the track. Datalog shows I am peddling it like crazy until it clicks into 3rd. It wish I had a steering wheel sensor to figure out how much I'm moving the wheel lol. I really want to get into the 5.7-5.8 range - makes enough power but I have to figure things out.

Instagram

6/5/2017

leaving on 6 lbs.

its all over the place on the track to the point the tps dips to 25% at one point - when it clicks into 3rd then the tps finally sees 100%

I will figure it out.......nothing is easy on these trucks lol

7/2/2017 BOOM figured it out

5.89 120.7 1.39 60 ft.
    Revised some front end geometry.
    Lowered boost - track was hot.
    Still on 17 in DOT radials.

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    4/21/2017 - powertrax locked installed and the truck was totally different on the street. Still needed a LOT of work at the track to get it working, I will share that info later on this forum.

Update - power trax lock rite installed up front - it's like a whole new truck. Just from a few launches I am very happy! There is a lot of bad information on the lock rites from what I can tell - so far I'm pleased w mine.

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    10/11/2016

https://instagram.com/p/BLZ72f2AT9A/

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    7/27/2016 - my buddy had mentioned the bed moves on hwy pulls. I have not seen this to me true as it is not braced and we are running in the 5's

While making a pull in Mexico this weekend my friend behind me mentioned that the bed and cab are definately moving. Will work on bracing.

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    7-17-2016 started making some power:

913 awhp at 21 lbs. conservative timing.

Pushed it harder and wasn't able to make pull - moves on dyno too much.

https://instagram.com/p/BIEMfX3geEm/

https://instagram.com/p/BIGuKlbAvGI/

More pulls from the weekend.......

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    12-4-2015 - I was having issues on the street making the truck go straight. So this was my thought at the time. Ended up keeping awd and I'm happy I did. Its more stock that way lol.

Going to get some flack for this but - might convert to 2wd. Hmmmm

I am frustrated with torque steer.
    I am not throwing in the towel yet.

Hoping to make some more power first though with more boost. The dyno I use here is a real heartbreaker compared to others I have been on lol.

I did a Holley dash and got everything working, and now my good friend is taking care of some odds and ends getting rid of most stock wiring and everything behind the dash. I have some transmission things to clear up once it's back and then I will play with it some more.

I have another project I'm finishing so this truck will remain a radical street car until I cage it.
    Last edited by FastBlackTA; 08-06-2017, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    10-2-2015 - ended up having issues with boost control on the dyno but laid down reasonable numbers at low boost - boost control issues solved now obviously and it makes a lot more power

boost in the mid teens made 788 awhp.

May start a new thread with new updates. Having boost control issues so I'm going to take some time, fix it, and do a little more r&d before I do.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    7-16-2015 - truck was up and running and we had a little fun with it on the street

Thanks.

Hope to bring to Carlisle unless I hang the rods out of it or something stupid

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    7-11-2015 - napa lol

It's 1 am. Short shifter shaft is in and my buddy helped me bleed brakes which took about 100x longer than it should have (errors on my part coupled with a difficult system).

Getting closer.

Leave a comment:

• FastBlackTA
    replied
    7-1-2015

From another forum I found the sonax unit. Called the tech line to get info on it but I think the tech guy didn't understand what I was trying to do (I don't blame him - since the trucks are rare as soon as you mention Syclone people get lost. I will use the term "Sonoma" with any tech line from now on unless it's syty specific). I just went ahead and bought it on eBay after doing a little more reading. Hope it works. If anybody has a gm older selector shaft let me know I still may need it.

Got some brake line in to make up the rest of my system. Sportmachines kit is awesome, but I can only use about half of it since this truck is rather different from stock. Tom is a wealth of knowledge on this stuff and has been a great dude to bounce ideas off of as well as Renz.

After brakes and trans shift shaft deal I need to finish the intercooler water tank plumbing to the five gallon cell in the bed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X