What was your first SyTy Event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first SyTy Event?

In the spirit of old times, what was your first SyTy event?

Mine was shindig in 2012. The event was all about big beards, hate pipes and googling Warren (you've been warned). This was also the only big SyTy event that I have driven my truck to and it even made it back home after a weekend of shenanigans and some autocross.

My first BIG SyTy Event was Nationals 1999. I was only 18, had just bought a truck, and Guy Lavy's 10 second pass was the fastest SyTy we'd ever seen (it was a HIGH 10 too). Such a cool event because it was when I met a lot of the people I hold dear now....Adam, Brian Green, Gary Shanock, Sean Morris, Dabney, Jordan, etc... This was the first BIG event in the community (though there was a Nats in 1998, it paled in comparison), topped a year later by the biggest in our history (Nats 2000).

The first SyTy Event I attended in general was one in 1997 that me and Waller held in Statesboro, GA. Had about 5 trucks, but it was a start. Glad to hear that you enjoyed Shindig, Graham. I miss the "old days" when it was pretty much mayhem and fun. Still the most fun I've ever had an event was in Reynolds at the FAST/GAST meet years before. We burned about 20 gallons of gas racing pocket bikes and raising hell. Solidified my lifelong friendship with Pope, Adam and Ian.
    Hood
    Syclone #1596
    ISTR Treasurer & Underwear Model

Comment

My first official SyTy event was meeting the up with Gary Shanock, Chris Pearson and Doug Christo on the 1998 Powertour Stop in Cocoa Beach. From there, we drove to Ocala to Don Garlits Auto Museum. We left a few hundred cars back in line from Cocoa and ended up being the first few trucks to pull in at Ocala. We were doing 100+mph roll ons on the backroads to Ocala racing a Plymouth Prowler. Good times.

Like Hood, my first HUGE SyTy event was 99 SyTy Nats. I was 18 and a new owner. I remember telling my parents (still lived at home) that I was hauling ass across the USA to goto a SyTy meet with a bunch of people Ive never meet before and be gone for a few days. Lots of history made those few days and a shit ton of new friends. It was SyTy heaven seeing that many trucks in one place and how crazy this group of owners actually is. I went on to coordinate SyTy Nats 2000 the next year.

Originally posted by sytyguy View Post
      Still the most fun I've ever had an event was in Reynolds at the FAST/GAST meet years before. We burned about 20 gallons of gas racing pocket bikes and raising hell. Solidified my lifelong friendship with Pope, Adam and Ian.
      This still stands as my most favorite as well. It was most definitely at that point that solidified that the trucks were just an excuse to get together and hang out, because all the good times and memories werent even directly with the trucks being involved. When the focus is how can we ride pocketbikes all night (after the cops had been called on us for noise complaints) and willing to drive out of the way to find a spot to continue wrecking havoc, you know youre hanging out with some good friends.
      --------------------------------
      SyTy Registry
      InternationalSyTyRegistry.com

Comment

1999 nats was the first for me, after meeting Hood and Adam I have had to attend therapy sessions on a regular basis. 1999 I got longest driven truck award if I remember. Paul, Richard Le and myself drove to KC from Seattle. ~2500 miles One way. (and people complain if an event isn't in their backyard).

Got my 2nd ticket in my typhoon on the way there. 90 in a 70, glad he got slowed down turning around to catch me as I was doing 120+ prior to that. Will Stevenson and I got my bone stock ty up to 140 somewhere between Denver and Kansas that trip also.

Prior to 99 Nats I did stop by a syty even in Reno the year before. Had just bought my truck and caught up with everyone in Lake Tahoe for just an hour or so. Meet Sean Morris for the first time, saw my first Marlboro Syclone and several others. I am fairly sure some current owners were still in diapers in 99.

Gotta go, therapy appointment in 5 minutes.

Comment

My first SYTY even with my own Typhoon was Carlisle Truck Nationals 2016. What a great experience.

2011 GSXR 600
          2011 Hayabusa
          2012 Ram 3500 Cummins
          1995 Toyota Supra
          1993 GMC Typhoon #0776 White/White

Comment

My 1st weekend meet was the 2003 Northeast Extravangaza. It was in Pittsburg and it was a blast. I had been to various day meets but the weekend meets were different. It started a string of meets that I attended, 2004 NE, 2006 Nationals, 2007 Nationals, 2008 NE Extravanganza, 2009 Nationals, 2010 Homecoming. The last meet I went to was the 2013 Nationals. Looking back I wish I had started making the trek to National meets earlier, in my head I couldn't justify driving that far. I miss going to various meets. Carlisle keep falling on weekends I that I have another commitment. One of these days I will try to make one of the Southeast meets.

Comment

My first official meet at a real event was during the GM High Tech Performance Magezine EFI Shootout #3 on October 28th, 2000. I only had my truck for approximately 6 months at that point, so it was nice to get out and meet more owners and see more trucks. Unfortunately was unable to attend the SyTy Nationals that year and I've REALLY hated myself for not going, because that is arguably the biggest SyTy Event to ever take place, but nevertheless 17 years later, I am still here and still going to events.

Truck owners who were at that meet were Pete H, Gabe S, Bill H, Mike B, Rich F and a few others who didn't have trucks in attendance but came to watch the event. It was a decent ice breaker, but by no means a full blown SyTy event, we basically just hung out in the pits and occasionally went and watched some races. Out of all the owners that were there, I believe Bill H and myself are the only ones to still have our trucks.

Attached Files
              Morgan - ISTR Executive Director

93 Typhoon #0180 || 93 Typhoon #1579 || 92 Typhoon #1068 || 52 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
              85 Volvo 745 Turbo Diesel || 06 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4 CCLB SRW LBZ SLT || 07 CGMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 CCSB LBZ SLT

WTB : 93 Typhoon #1682

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Morgan View Post
                My first official meet at a real event was during the GM High Tech Performance Magezine EFI Shootout #3 on October 28th, 2000. I only had my truck for approximately 6 months at that point, so it was nice to get out and meet more owners and see more trucks. Unfortunately was unable to attend the SyTy Nationals that year and I've REALLY hated myself for not going, because that is arguably the biggest SyTy Event to ever take place, but nevertheless 17 years later, I am still here and still going to events.

Truck owners who were at that meet were Pete H, Gabe S, Bill H, Mike B, Rich F and a few others who didn't have trucks in attendance but came to watch the event. It was a decent ice breaker, but by no means a full blown SyTy event, we basically just hung out in the pits and occasionally went and watched some races. Out of all the owners that were there, I believe Bill H and myself are the only ones to still have our trucks.
                That was the event I towed Kellers Aspen Ty there. I remember leaving the track raining hard. Went to stop at a light/or stop sign and we just slide on thru it.

Comment

Originally posted by JSM View Post

That was the event I towed Kellers Aspen Ty there. I remember leaving the track raining hard. Went to stop at a light/or stop sign and we just slide on thru it.
                  You're thinking of the GMHTP event that they did the photoshoot for, I believe that was in 2005?
                  Morgan - ISTR Executive Director

93 Typhoon #0180 || 93 Typhoon #1579 || 92 Typhoon #1068 || 52 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
                  85 Volvo 745 Turbo Diesel || 06 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4 CCLB SRW LBZ SLT || 07 CGMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 CCSB LBZ SLT

WTB : 93 Typhoon #1682

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

You are correct and your memory is much better than mine.

Comment

My first event was about 3 months after buying my first Typhoon. My wife and I drove up from Norfolk, Va to attend Homecoming '08. Later that year we were able to attend another show and meet more people as we moved coast to coast.

Comment

Hooters NJ, prob 2003 or 2004....can't remember which (I first bought in 2005). Was struck by how friendly everyone was, especially some dude named Renz and Keith Watson, who gave me a tour of his Syclone.

Comment

My first event was a local SoCal gathering at Andrew's house in Van Nuys, CA in the Fall of 1998. Still the mailing list days. About 15 trucks. I drove the wht/gry that was a joint effort between my friend Chuck and myself, and I still own today. 20 years. I don't recall many names from that meet, but none of those guys are still active. I think Brian Fischer was there, and he still has his Ty, and Sean Morris probably still has his trucks even if they haven't run in almost 20 years, but I doubt any of the others at that meet still have theirs.
                          Last edited by DaveP; 06-15-2017, 02:11 AM. Reason: added a little bit about the Ty I drove and still own

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          rolex fake rolex achieves a wonderful balance of straight line and camber line which are arduous in structure.

the best replica watches in the world craftsmen entrepreneurs focused.

richard mille replica usa received a new unique neoclassical technique, plus also back into the current day facets.